Sawback’s covid-19 response
We have successfully offered trips and courses this fall starting in October 2020 and we are planning to continue operation throughout the coming winter 2021.
As of Dec 26, 2020 all of Sawback’s guided backcountry day & town-based weekend trips and courses are permitted in accordance with AB & BC provincial and federal laws, restrictions and guidelines. During the pandemic provincial governments are allowing outdoor recreation as an “essential activity” including ski touring. Nevertheless Sawback is carefully monitoring the situation and implementing all recommended safety procedures including masks and distancing measures.
Our hut-based trips have additional information regarding our Covid-19 response; please consult the relevant Trip Information Page and/or contact us for details.
If you want further clarification on the provincial (BC and Alberta) guidelines and restrictions please read the following documents:
Alberta Health: https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/covid-19-information-guidance-for-winter-recreation.pdf
British Columbia Centre for Disease Control: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks/travel
To mitigate the risk of Covid 19 infection for our guests and our staff, we will implement the following changes and updates to our operating procedures.
- For the 14 days prior to our ski trip we strongly urge you to follow the covid-related guidelines established by the BC Centre for Disease Control. This will help reduce the risk of you bringing covid with you. Please see www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks
- Two days prior to your trip all guests will be required to use the BC Ministry of Health self-assessment tool: bc.thrive.health/covid19. Only those who pass this screening procedure should proceed with trip plans.
- Each guest will need to fill out a screening form (health declaration) as provided by Sawback Alpine Adventures, and may have their temperature taken. Click here to see a copy of this form. If you have been exposed to someone with the COVID-19 virus, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have traveled outside of Canada within two weeks of your trip time, you will not be allowed to participate.
- We will restrict our group sizes to 8 guests maximum
- We will utilize all safety procedures recommended by the provincial health authorities including face masks and physical distancing when necessary.
- We will clean surfaces in the lodge frequently, at least twice a day. We will also clean the outhouse once a day.
- Hand washing is mandatory after each washroom use and before every meal. Hand sanitizer and hand washing facilities will be provided.
- Guests will still make their lunches themselves and package them. Guests will wear masks while making lunches and each guest will use fresh implements. Hand washing is required before making lunches.
- Masks and gloves will be worn in the helicopter in accordance with the provider’s rules.
- Guests and staff who show potential Covid symptoms will be evacuated and asked to self isolate.