Avalanche Skills Training
Avalanche Canada’s Intermediate course emphasizing decision making in avalanche terrain
Now booking Dec 18-20, 2020 with pre-course classroom sessions
This program is run over four days. The first two are based out of the local (to us) Rockies region and the following two out of Golden/Rogers Pass. This gives participants insight into two very different snowpack regions.
Our AST 2 program is your next step to understanding how to travel safely in the mountains. This program focuses on expanding on the AST 1 program with more advanced weather and snow evaluation and, a lot more time in the mountains with our professional guides observing and moving in and around avalanche terrain.
We have been offering this course in partnership with SplitboardHQ since 2016.
If you are serious about getting out and splitboarding / skiing in the backcountry, this program is a must.
Split between two Zoom meetings in the evening prior to the field days.
Field Day 1
Emphasis will be on terrain recognition and selection, reviewing the Avaluator tool, and conditions evaluation. Location and timing TBA.
Field Days 2 & 3
Emphasis will be on travelling in Avalanche terrain and decision making.
two weekends or four days
This course takes place over either two weekends for four consecutive days. You are responsible for finding your own accommodation and meals during the course.
Meeting time & location
The classroom session is the first day, time & location TBA.
For the field sessoins, we will meet at 8 a.m. at the parking lot in Lake Louise in front of Laggan’s, unless otherwise specified by your course instructor.
AST Course Equipment List
- Alpine Touring skis (lightweight tech bindings recommended) & alpine touring boots OR splitboard & boots
- Ski poles (with regular powder baskets). Splitboarders (optional): Compact / 3-part break-down poles that you can stash in your backpack for the ride down are best.
- Climbing skins
- Avalanche transceiver (Digital, with extra batteries)
- Lightweight snow shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Backpack, 30 – 40 liters max, with outside straps to attach skis.
- Repair kit / spare parts for your bindings (optional)
- Wind and waterproof shell jacket with hood (Gore Tex or similar)
- Wind and waterproof over pants (Gore Tex or similar with integrated gaiters)
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket (hood is optional)
- Fleece jacket
- Medium weight fleece shirt or vest
- Synthetic or wool underwear, top and bottoms
- 2 Pairs of gloves (lightweight and heavier weight)
- Scarf, neck gaiter or bandanna
- Socks: thicker outer (wool) and thinner liners
- Wool or fleece hat, covering the ears
- Sun hat, preferably with wide rim
- Write-in-the-rain book (or other waterproof note paper, for taking notes)
- Mechanical pencil
- Avaluator 2 cards
- Optional: snow saw
- Sun Glasses (with very good UV protection, extra pair is a good idea)
- Sun screen and lip protection
- A 1 liter Water bottle, preferably insulated (bladders/bags not recommended due to freezing temperatures)
- Headlamp with spare batteries
- Small Blister kit
- Lunch & snacks
- Personal items (Prescription medicine, extra contact lenses and maintenance equipment, prescription glasses etc.)
- Pocket knife or Leatherman tool
- Zip-lock bag for wallet and other documents to keep them dry (recommended)
- Camera, batteries (optional)
- Skin wax (a small amount)
Emergency Plan and Equipment (carried by the guide)
- There is no cell coverage; you do not need to bring your personal cell or smartphone
- Emergency plan
- SPOT emergency locating device
- Satellite phone or VHF radio
- Complete first-aid kit
- Repair kit
- Evacuation gear for injured people
- Avalanche rescue gear
- All maps of the area
- GPS, compass and altimeter
DATES: Evening theory sessions via Zoom — Tuesday December 15th and Thursday December 17th (6pm – 9pm); Field Days — December 18, 19 and 20
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
PRE-REQUISITES: AST 1 or backcountry ski/board experience
PRICE: $650 CAD + GST
DURATION: 1 indoor day and 3 field days
AGES: 16 + years
INSTRUCTOR : STUDENT RATIO: 1 : 8 (max)
INCLUDES: Instruction for 4 days, free use of Avy Safety Gear, discounted splitboard & ski touring rentals
NOT INCLUDED: Transportation, personal equipment, gratuities.