THIS COURSE IS FULLY BOOKED
You have taken your AST 1, you have solid experience in the backcountry and you dedicate most of your free time to recreating in the backcountry; this is a course for you.
An AST 2 course builds on the foundations of your AST 1, and provides a more advanced decision-making framework for travelling in avalanche terrain. An AST 2 course comprises a minimum of 9.5 hours of classroom instruction with a minimum of three days in the field.
Our AST 2 program looks to give participants more knowledge/experience in the following areas:
– Use the Avaluator™ as a filtering tool to determine when additional planning and travel techniques are required to travel safely.
– Be familiar with Avalanche Danger Ratings verification techniques for personal use on a local scale.
– Be familiar with the ATES technical model as a means to develop personal, local terrain ratings.
– Use routefinding to take advantage of nuances in terrain to manage personal risk.
– Use travel techniques in avalanche terrain appropriate to the avalanche conditions.
– Proficiently carry out a companion rescue.
– Understand the limits of their training.
At the end of the course you will be awarded a CAA AST 2 certification.
Duration: 4 days including a full day of theory and 3 field days.
Where: The course will based out of Lake Louise each day, with exact locations dictated by conditions
Level: Intermediate Level Course
Fitness: Good level of fitness
Skills: You will need to have intermediate skiing or snowboarding skills
Ages: 18 +
Equipment Included: Transceiver, probe and shovel
Equipment Required (not included): Appropriate clothing for being out in winter weather for a full day; Splitboard and skins or Touring ski setup with climbing skins; 35+ litre backpack
We have splitboards and climbing skins available for rent at discounted rates for people taking our courses.
Transportation: Transport is not included, though we will try and facilitate car pooling for the field day if people are interested
Food: You are required to bring your own food
Accommodation: No accommodation is provided, though we can help you find accommodations in Calgary or Lake Louise if you are coming from out of town